Continuing our longstanding record of bringing the best emerging comedic talent in the country straight to Philadelphia audiences, PHIT Comedy is excited to be partnering with the famous Chicago/Brooklyn based Annoyance Theater in April for a series of eight performances spread across every weekend of the month. PHIT and Annoyance have worked together bringing shows to Philadelphia since 2007 and this special month-long residency is a celebration of our decade of collaboration.
Annoyance company alumni include Saturday Night Live cast members and household names such as Vanessa Bayer, Stephen Colbert, Jon Favreau, Jane Lynch, and Andy Richter. Annoyance is best known for its absurdist and outrageous brand of comedy made famous in shows like Co-Ed Prison Sluts (the longest running musical in Chicago theatre history), The Real Live Brady Bunch (which starred a young Jane Lynch as Mrs. Brady), and the controversy-stirring You Darn Antichrist!
“Annoyance has been the bleeding edge of bizarre emerging comedy in the United States for almost thirty years, and we’re excited to be bringing the best of their NYC work to Philly audiences again this spring,” said PHIT founder and executive director Greg Maughan.
Jessica Snow, PHIT’s Artistic Director, described her excitement. “When I graduated from college and thought it unlikely I’d improvise again, someone gave me Improvise: Scene from the Inside Out by Mick Napier, who founded Annoyance in Chicago, and I was pulled in harder than ever before. I became obsessed with Napier and his theater. I was excited to see them start doing things in New York because Chicago is far, so having Annoyance shows visit PHIT is awesome for me. I can walk to Annoyance shows in April without leaving Philadelphia; I love that.”
The Annoyance Residency Performance Calendar:
- Friday, April 7th, 10:30 p.m. – Bleech. A one-man sketch comedy show from Anthony Oberbeck, a regular at the famous Just for Laughs comedy festival.
- Saturday, April 8th, 9:00 p.m. – Postmen. An unrelenting sketch comedy show from the creators of the Holy Fuck Comedy Hour, featuring a line-up of comedic heavy hitters that includes Matt Barats (Just for Laughs Fresh Face – 2015), Carmen Christopher (Chris Gethard’s The Special Without Brett Davis), and Anthony Oberbeck (multiple Just for Laughs appearances).
- Friday, April 14th, 10:30 p.m. – Nervosa: The Musical. An original sock-puppet musical comedy about body image, featuring book and music created by an all-female creative team.
- Saturday, April 15th, 9:00 p.m. – Disco Demolition. A comedic recreation of the most infamous baseball game promotion in history, which caused the Chicago White Sox to forfeit a game against the Detroit Tigers on July 12, 1979 after a crate of disco records was detonated on the field, sparking a riot.
- Friday, April 21st, 10:30 p.m. and Saturday, April 22nd, 9:00 p.m. – Secret Shows!
If we can’t tell you about it yet, you know it has to be something special.
- Friday, April 28th, 10:30 p.m. and Saturday, April 29th 9:00 p.m. – Moon Crew.The Moon Crew answers an S.O.S. distress signal from Dr. Shelley and her crew of AmazonSky scientists stranded on Mars. It was supposed to be an easy shoot-and-scoop job, but the mysterious Dr. Shelley forgot to mention one thing: The musclebound, vodka Red Bull-chugging, shirt ripping…MEATHEADS ON MARS! The stakes launch into the stratosphere when one of the Moon Crew starts lifting… a lot.There’s a sandstorm brewing on Mars, y’all. Strap in.
“We’re very excited to take Philadelphia to the Moooooon (and Mars),” says Riley Taggart of Moon Crew. Charlie Walden of Disco Demolition Night added, “We’re pumped as hell to bring Disco Demolition Night to PHIT. The show takes place mostly at a baseball stadium in 1979 and involves a live organist.”
Annoyance’s residency also includes a set of workshops for Philadelphia performers. PHIT Education director Mike Marbach said “We are excited to offer five workshops throughout the month of April covering both improv and sketch comedy. It will be the first time time most of the instructors have set foot here. This is a great opportunity to get a taste of what makes the Annoyance Theater so special.”
The Annoyance Residency Workshop & Master Class Calendar:
- Sunday, April 2nd – Burn Your Fear with Philip Markle
- Saturday, April 8th – Cranking Sketch with Anthony Oberbeck
- Saturday, April 15th – Grounded Performance for Wild Improv with Andrew Tischer
- Saturday, April 22nd – Set Bitch Free with Devin Bockrath (a workshop for female improvisers)
- Saturday, April 29th – Powerslam: Getting in Touch with Your Wild Style with Danny Groh
So there it is – another amazing opportunity for comedy fans and comedy students right here at PHIT Comedy next month. We hope you are as excited as are!