Since the beginning of 2016, PHIT Comedy has cast two new sketch teams to join its ranks – producing new, hilarious content for PHIT’s stage and for the internet. Both The Decoy and The Worst Generation have premiered and we couldn’t be more proud of the work they’re doing. And now, we’re doing it all again! We are happy to announce that we are accepting submissions now for a new live sketch team to premiere in Spring of 2017.
Sketch house team writers meet weekly with a director and head writer working to create new shows at a consistent rate. Teams get a two-week headlining sketch slot at PHIT – a total of four performances for each show – every four months. PHIT is looking for writers who can think outside the box, surprise the audience, and (most importantly) make our audiences laugh.
The theater is excited to announce Kathryn Amrhein as the director for our new house team. Kathryn has a bevy of sketch experience: as a performer and writer of musical comedy as part of duo Kathryn + Sarah, as co-director of the improv-to-sketch project Saucy Sally And The Jean Gals, and as a founding member of all-female sketch collective Barbara Bush. Kathryn has performed across North America, from Los Angeles to Vancouver, and we’re happy to have her talents at work putting together PHIT’s newest group of sharp and silly scribes.
To be considered for a writer position on the new sketch house team you must complete two steps. First, complete the Fall 2016 Sketch House Team Packet Submission Form. Then, submit a Writing Packet by email which adheres to the guidelines below:
- Your submission packet must be no more than 11 pages.
- The first page of the packet should contain 15 sketch pitches (1-2 sentence descriptions of sketch ideas).
- After your page of sketch pitches you can include up to three sketches (10 pages maximum) that demonstrate your best comedy writing.
- Your submission packet must be a single file, saved in PDF format.
- Your submissions packet must not contain your name or any identifying information.
- Your submission packet must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Sketch Submission Packet – [FULL NAME]” no later than 11:59 p.m. on Monday, October 31st, 2016.
We ask that all writers submitting packets are either enrolled in or have completed Sketch 101 at the PHIT Comedy Training Center. Writers who do not meet this per-requisite can still apply with permission of the Artistic Director.
If you are interested in acting for the new sketch team but not writing, keep an eye out for sketch house team actor auditions in early 2017!
With so many skilled writers in the Philadelphia comedy community, we are excited to create another opportunity to showcase their talents. We look forward to reading your submissions and adding another new group to the growing PHIT House Team roster!